From Vitality Clinic…
Why eat seasonally?
• Keeps us attuned to the Earth, its elements, the cycles of nature, and what is naturally available for the current climate.
• It gets us thinking about gardens and being able to pick our own food
• It’s the most economical diet, you’re not paying top $ for imported fruits/veggies
• You are often supporting local growers and therefore your local economy and community
• Less chemicals, preservatives, dyes, additives that are used to make the fruits/veggies last longer on the shelf and look ripe
• You are eating the most appropriate foods for natural health ie. in summer foods have a moistening, cooling property to combat summer heat
Summer is the time of growth, activity and expansion.
• The warmth of summer requires both a lighter diet and fresher, higher water content foods and isn’t it amazing that those are exactly the foods that nature provides at this time?
• Raw/cold foods are best digested in the hottest climate/during the hottest time of the day with heavier/warmer foods being reduced and eaten when it is most cool
• Increased intake of water, herbal teas and fresh juices are necessary
• Exercise and activity is at its peak and the body will run more efficiently on simpler fuels at this time ie. Slightly reducing intake of animal proteins and fats
Summer Foods to Enjoy
Apricot Pear Beans Lettuce
Avocado Plum Beet Onions
Berries Tangelo Bell Pepper Radish
Cherries Tropical Fruits Cabbage Rhubarb
Grapefruit Banana Celery Spinach
Lemon/Lime Guava Chive Squash (summer)
Melons Mango Corn Turnips
Nectarine Papaya Cucumber Zucchini
Orange Passionfruit Carrots Tomato
Peach Pineapple Leeks Sprouts
*visit www.seasonalcornucopia.com to search for foods by month / season. Very cool!